Board members are voting members of the governing board of AWARE, Inc. and may authorize the organization and development of programs that serve the needs of victims, and promote a community-wide response to eliminating domestic and sexual violence. The Board shall supervise the Executive Director who will administer programs in accordance with the structure, policies and operating procedures approved by the Board of Directors.
Board membership is representative of Mercer County. Board members shall have an interest in understanding domestic and sexual violenceissues, the needs of victims, and implementing prevention strategies for the Mercer County community. AWARE is committed to diversity of representation, and shall not discriminate according to race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, survivor status, or geographic location within Mercer County.
General Board Member Responsibilities:
- Review and amend the By-laws
- Elect its Directors, officers and committees
- Select, oversee, counsel and assess the Executive Director
- Advocate vision and mission of AWARE.
- Approve and review the strategic plan, and annual operating objectives
- Develop policies
- Ensure financial integrity and effective resource management.
- Establish and oversee investment policies; select asset managers.
- Establish and oversee operating and capitol budgets
- Periodically assess the Board’s strategies, decisions, strengths, needs and performance.
Individual Board Member Responsibilities:
- Commit to AWARE’s vision and mission.
- Serve the interests of AWARE
- Positively represent AWARE within the community
- Maintain a working knowledge of AWARE’s finances, operations, program and operating framework, and public policy agenda.
- Faithfully prepare and attend Board and Committee meetings.
- Make a personal, financial contribution annually
- Follow conflict of interest and confidentiality policies.