Supervisor: Executive Director
Description: AWARE is Mercer County Center Against Domestic and Sexual Violence. We offer a broad range of crisis support services, and system advocacy for victims of domestic and sexual violence, family and friends, prevention education and professional development for general community and professional audiences in Mercer County
Description: AWARE seeks undergrad, graduate, and professional students who desire adynamic academic experience in the non-profit world serving victims of domestic andsexual violence, and reducing the impact of domestic and sexual violence in the Mercer County community.
Range of activity includes:
- Direct services including crisis intervention, individual advocacy,and support group services for men, women, and child victims of domestic and/or sexual violence, case management, systems advocacy
- Community activity including: education services conducted in schools and community settings, public affairs advocacy and monitoring of legislation, outreach activity, developing educational resources accessible to range of literacy levels, special projects.
- Building agency capacity for future growth through business planning, site planning, marketing, strategic planning, grant writing, program development, IT/MIS, evaluation.
- Legal advocacy includes: preparing PFAs, court accompaniment through civil and criminal proceedings in District and Common Pleas courts for adult and child victims of domestic or sexual violence, monitoring court docket, victim registration and notice, systems support for District Courts, law enforcement, community initiatives (SART, Criminal Justice Advisory Board, Community that Care)
Internship position: All disciplines are considered for internships at AWARE.
Please note that students interested in working directly with victims are required by Pennsylvania statute to complete a (60) hour mandatory training. Completion of the state required training is required prior to beginning the internship.
Students working indirectly in victim services will complete a general agency orientation and confidentiality training session.
Hours: Minimum of  hours per week
- Act 33 and Act 34 eligible
- Successfully complete AWARE training.
- Sensitivity working with victims impacted by domestic and sexual violence
- Ability to work with diverse people
- Possess a sense of humor